As we all know, the weather here in Canada is extremely bipolar in the spring time. We get a few blissful days of summer-like temperatures before the clouds roll in to teach of the true meaning of “April showers bring May flowers”. And just as the weather changes can wreak havoc on our sanity; it can also do a number on our skin. I always notice dryness in my hands and lips first, then a lovely alternation of small breakouts and dry patches on my face. So, in hopes to save myself and others from undecided-weather-despair-disorder, here are some tips for your skin!
- Check-in on your current skin routine. Are the products you’re using right now not only good for your skin but safe for your skin as well? Switching to a brand that is focused on creating clean products can be extremely beneficial to your skin health and your complexion in the long run. Try a brand that uses organic and natural ingredients free of harmful toxins.
- Add in a serum! Cold and rainy weather can really dry out your skin. Adding a serum into your collection will add moisture, help with dry spots, fine lines or hyperpigmentation and even prevent damage from environmental pollutants. Serums are most often used either under a moisturizer or in place of one, and tend to work their best magic overnight. They are usually the most potent and targeted products (hence the slight price increase from a moisturizer) and give the best results, depending on what your concerns are.
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! When season changes are in the midst, I personally exfoliate at least every second day. I either mix a small amount of a scrub with a cream-textured cleanser or use it on its own for a stronger clean. Exfoliation is a key step to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. It allows your other products to absorb deeper into your skin; helps fade dry spots, age spots and fine lines; and leaves skin super soft. Exfoliation is great for your whole body, not just your face! Try a full body scrub followed by a moisturizing session before you go to sleep and wake up feeling smooth and hydrated.
- Up your water intake! This is important all year round, but especially through the transition from fall to winter and from spring to summer when the most dramatic season changes occur. This is when I find my skin sending out an SOS. But no matter how amazing your products are, hydration starts from the inside. If you notice your skin becoming extra dry or sensitive through these transitions, try keeping track of how much water you’re drinking throughout the day.
- Look for products with Algae Bioactives. Ahh, the magic ingredient. Straight from the ocean onto your beautiful canvas of a face. These wonderful marine plants are remarkably effective at boosting the skin’s natural protective barrier and delivering ultra-hydration. Not to mention combating the major skin sins — hyperpigmentation, dullness and the slow collagen that shows in sags, bags, lines and wrinkles.
Spa Magnolia Staff Favourites:
Organic Nation More Than Rose Hydration Mist – use for an amazing smelling extra step of hydration in place of a regular toner.
Intelligent Nutrients Renewing Oil Serum – so good we nicknamed in “green gold”. It works for all skin types of all ages and is a great option for adding a serum into the mix.
Comfort Zone Remedy Defense Cream – this moisturizer is especially formulated to reinforce our skin’s natural armour to protect against harsh weather and environmental pollutants.
Organic Nation Black Rice Scrub – my personal favourite, this scrub has been a total lifesaver and an easy way to remember to exfoliate. I use it on my face mixed with the Citrus Foaming Cleanser daily and use it all over my body in the shower at least once a week to prevent dry patches!
Intelligent Nutrients Skin Care Travel Sets – try four amazing products (most of which incorporate those amazing algae bioactives) in 3 different sets formulated for specific skin types.